"For Internal applicants, the Internal posting period for this position is 1/20/21 through 1/27/21."
Join the team by December 13th to earn extra money with an-all new incentive bonus. Full-time Cooks are eligible to earn a $500 bonus for hours worked through January 2, 2022.
This position is the most advanced in a professional kitchen. The culinarian should have extreme knowledge, understanding and application of knife skills, and advance cooking techniques. This position must be able to run all day to day operations of the area they are assigned to in absence of a Sous Chef. This position requires complete understanding of the whole kitchen operation and should be able to control inventories, requisitions, and par levels. This position will take a lead role in the direction, and training of all lower cooks in daily task. The Cook I should be able to work all stations in all meal periods for both ala carte as well as production setting. The Cook I needs to possess a positive attitude with a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to support the Sous Chefs in managing the kitchen/areas in their absence.
- Produce foods/meals/large volumes of prep work consistently with no direct supervision without difficulty, while maintaining quality standards in any area of the Hotel culinary department.
- Exhibits an exemplary knowledge, understanding and application of knife skills and cooking techniques.
- Ability to execute breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily specials with regard to outlet culinary concept.
- Identify and safely use all kitchen equipment
- Properly label, date and rotate all products to ensure safe keeping and sanitation.
- Maintain an organized, clean and sanitary station/work area in accordance with Health Department/ServSafe standards.
- Take a leadership role in assisting, training and directing culinary interns, and all lower classification cook's in daily tasks and organization.
- Able to work all stations in all areas of the hotel culinary departments, on all shifts to include but not limited to Garde Manager, A la Carte Hot Line, Banquets, ect.
- Be able to control inventories, requisitions, and par levels.
- Review all prep lists in regards to food and labor costs.
- Assist Sous Chefs and Chefs in developing and writing new menu ideas and recipes.
- Ability to complete end of period inventories accurately.
- Performs other job related duties as required, to include nightly food requisitions from the butcher/storeroom and prep lists, etc.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 7 years culinary experience OR a degree or certificate from a Culinary Institution plus 5 years culinary experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledgeable of kitchen equipment, good knife skills, and possess a full tool kit.
- Knowledgeable of weights and measures, as well as basic math applications.
- Skilled in advanced ability in meat, poultry and fish fabrication.
- Must take a leadership role in assisting, training and directing culinary interns, and all lower classification cook's in daily tasks and organization.
- Proficient in speaking, reading, and writing in English.
- Complete a 7 course tasting menu in a 6 hour time limit designed by the candidate that should have floe, and follow a theme such as Italian, French, American, or one of the restaurants at HE&R.
- Complete a 25 question written cooking exam, covering modern fundamentals and classic cooking techniques with a score of 80%
- Skilled with more than four cuisines. Examples may include but not limited to Asian, Italian, Classical, New American, and Mexican.
- Must obtain ServSafe certification.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Occasional (<33%)
- Bending Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- Additional physical requirements include repetitive elbow motions for chopping, repetitive write motions for stirring and chopping.
- Must have ability of taste buds to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperature, and mouth feel (smoothness, pungency, etc.) of food, and beverage.
- Must have ability of olfactory nerves to distinguish between and among odors and scents as to their appeal and level of intensity.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
- This is a union position and the work schedule will be based on union seniority. Candidates must be able to meet scheduled requirements, which will most likely require evening and weekend hours.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer