This position is responsible for culinary operations including food preparation and team development for the Hershey Grill Restaurant at The Hershey Lodge. This person will lead a culinary team of 6 to 8 and report directly to the Executive Sous Chef, Hershey Lodge.
About the Hershey Lodge:
The Hershey Lodge, located in “The Sweetest Place on Earth”, Hershey, PA has been building a tradition of fine service and excellent accommodations for over 45 years. With 665 rooms and over 100,000 square feet of meeting room space, the Hershey Lodge is one of the largest convention facilities in Pennsylvania. In addition the Hershey Lodge operates four full-service restaurants with a combined 1.2 million covers. As a culinary team member with HE&R you will be inspired to grow within our organization and learn from some of the very best in the industry.
- Maintain and develop processes to deliver timely and accurate results.
- Demonstrate and reinforce compliance with food handling and sanitation standards to FDA Food Code and State of Pennsylvania standards. Ensure well executed food preparation, sanitation, and safety standards in the kitchens.
- Collaborate with Stewarding Managers and employees to ensure safe, clean and sanitary standards are maintained.
- Participate in the interviewing, training, scheduling, and motivating of culinary staff.
- Challenge and train the culinary staff for development and advancement. Provide regular coaching and performance reviews for employee development. Use hands on training and developing culinary team members of all levels including line cooks, interns, apprentices and kitchen steward staff.
- Partner with the larger culinary team to support the success of all operations.
- Evaluate, plan and facilitate employee engagement with ongoing communication and utilizing the engagement survey.
- Develop menus in collaboration with the Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef utilizing input from the culinary and food and beverage teams. Menus will be consistent with the restaurants identity and price point.
- Maintain up to date recipe and plate presentation sheets for training and consistency. Coordinate all aspects of guest dietary needs for planning and safe preparation of meals.
- Requisition supplies and partner with Purchasing to ensure quality product is on hand.
- Maintain up to date menu costing, appropriate food inventory levels, and processes to support the budgeted food cost targets.
- Manage labor costs to budget through effective scheduling and daily management of labor.
- Maintain equipment in good working order, submit regular service and repair request
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in banquet and fine dining food preparation in a Hotel/Resorts/Country Club and/or Upscale free standing restaurant.
- Minimum of two (2 ) years of kitchen management experience in a Hotel/Resorts/Country Club and/or Upscale free standing restaurant OR Three (3) years working experience in a lead line cook role at Hotel Hershey or Hershey Lodge.
- Experience in high-volume a la carte and banquet venues
- Ability to obtain ServSafe Manager Certification.
- Degree in culinary arts or formal culinary apprenticeship is highly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of food handling and preparation techniques.
- Ability to draw influences from and prepare a variety of cuisines, using skill and creativity.
- Ability to instill and enforce safety and sanitation standards within the kitchen environment.
- Experience working in a union environment is preferred though not required.
- Demonstrated team building experience and ability to promote an atmosphere of teamwork among staff.
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional detail and follow-up skills.
- Must embody HE&R company values (Devoted to the Legacy, Selfless Spirit of Service, Team Focused, Respectful of Others).
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Physical requirements include considerable walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.; and working in extreme temperatures.
- Schedule will vary according to operating needs, but will include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Climbing Ladders Occasional (<33%)
- Reaching Forward Occasional (<33%)
- Climbing Stairs Occasional (<33%) (ft maximum height)
- Lifting Occasional (<33%) (lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Frequent (34-66%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Frequent (34-66%)
- Stooping Frequent (34-66%)
- Bending Frequent (34-66%)
- Sitting Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Frequent (34-66%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- This job requires a good sense of vision (either corrected or uncorrected). Visual ability to operate moving equipment such as a car, truck, golf carts, etc.
- This job requires the visual ability to view work at distances of approximately 5 feet (operation and adjustment of machinery).
- This job requires the visual ability to perform detailed work at close distances (computer screens, accounting ledgers, using measurement devices).
- This job regularly requires verbal communication of detailed information to others either by phone or in person.
- Must be able to speak and read the English language.
- Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers (Repetitive motion).
- The position is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
- The position is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The position is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- The position is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer