Shallow Water Lifeguards ensure the safety of our guests at The Boardwalk at HersheyparkⓇ while providing courteous, friendly, and professional assistance. Applicants do not need to be previously certified lifeguards to apply; training for the position will be conducted by the Hershey Entertainment Complex through the International Lifeguard Training Program (Ellis & Associates). Shallow Water Lifeguards have the opportunity to be promoted to a Special Facilities Lifeguard, who will then be trained to guard greater depths of water (greater than five feet) and receive a higher pay rate, in their second year. This part time position is responsible for providing our guests with exceptional customer service, following proper uniform standards, maintaining cleanliness of work environment, and gaining knowledge of specific job duties.
Shallow Water Lifeguards are required to do one or all of the following tasks depending on the assigned job:
- Overseeing and enforcing The Boardwalk at Hersheypark attraction rules and safety regulations
- Anticipating, recognizing, and responding to aquatic emergencies
- Monitoring equipment and supplies
- Maintaining work area and surrounding environment
- Lifeguards must maintain lifeguard and first aid skills at “test ready” level at all times
- Participating in daily lifeguard in-service training
- Provide excellent customer service to the guests of HersheyparkⓇ by greeting guests and answering questions related to the attraction
- Comprehend written and verbal instructions, retain information, and consistently enforce all ride safety, Park, and departmental policies. This includes, but is not limited to, following all safety procedures.
- Direct and assist guests to and from ride areas
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Must be 15 years of age on the day of applying or turning 15 years of age by May 22, 2021
- Applicants must attend and complete the Ellis & Assoc. International Lifeguard Training
- Program provided and paid for by the Hershey Entertainment Complex
- Must be able to swim 50 yards using crawl or breaststroke without resting
- Must be able to safely exit pool without use of stairs, ladders, or zero depth
- Must be able to swim under five feet of water and retrieve a 10 lb. brick to the surface
- Ability to handle stressful working conditions, emergencies, and accept a high degree of accountability
- Must be in good physical condition
- Must have normal vision (20/25 or 20/25 corrected) and be free of permanent abnormalities of either eye
- Prior lifeguarding experience a plus, but not required
- Must be friendly, upbeat, and work well with other employees and be able to interact with our guests
- Must have reliable, steady transportation to and from work
- Must be able to speak, write, and understand English
- Must display a positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and professional image in compliance with Hershey Entertainment & Resorts
- Must have the ability to safeguard confidential information
- Must be able to work flexible hours including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to work three (3) days per week throughout our peak summer season (June-August)
- Typical shifts include 9am to 4:30pm and 12:00pm to 8:00pm
- Employees are subject to a variety of weather conditions, including but not limited to: extreme heat, sun exposure, cold, and inclement weather. Work is almost exclusively outdoors.
- Additional hours may be available during April, May, September, October, November, and December
- Physical requirements include standing, bending, sitting, walking, and communicating
- Additional physical requirements include complete mobility and good physical conditioning, good hearing and vision, and ability to tolerate heat and sunlight
- Must be able to push, pull, and lift a minimum of 75 lbs.
*Candidates offered Rides and Lifeguard positions will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment and Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer